Every year I do a write up looking back upon the past year and this year is no different. Each year get’s better and better and for that I am truly lucky. Too draw and paint for a living is an extreme privilege and I am grateful that I am not working retail or putting up dry wall from 9 to 5. Many thanks to my brothers and sisters of illo confidential who are inspiring and have been very helpful to me these past couple years. Be sure to check out the year in review the first/second week of January on the site. A short list of people who have made an impact on me this year in a huge way: Tuesday, Malta, Stecker, Jensine, Negley, Rebekka, Rebecca, Padula, Dadu, Victo, Isip, Bakal, Jen, Meg, Gash and Laura. Also, every art director that I have worked with once or even multiple times this year, thank you thank you thank you! You all are the reason I can do this for a living and I make you all look good in the process. :)
This coming year’s mantra is simple: Upsides. It’s easy to look at all of the negatives that comes with any occupation or practice. So this year I am going to focus on all of the things that make being an artist awesome.
Here are a few new things to look forward too in 2014 from me:
- A few editorial pieces that I am pretty stoked about that are going to be published in the coming days and weeks that I can’t wait to share.
- I have work for an upcoming book project this February. It is really really funny and it’s coming out via McSweeney’s. Stay tuned for that.
- I will be putting up a pre-order for a new zine coming out at the end of January called “Jean Jackets = Babe Magnets” and in March I will be putting up another pre-order for another zine that I am self publishing. That title is still up in the air.
- I have a series of serialized zines being published Summer 2014 by Standard Issue Press. More on this July 2014.
- I am working out the details for a workshop I will be giving sometime in 2014/2015 in the Mid-West. More details to surface in the next month or two.
- Lastly, it’s not even January and 4 out of 8 spots for my Independent Study Course are filled! Maybe you want to consider joining up before it fills?
Thanks again to everyone who has made this year possible. See you all in 2014.
All the Best,
Daniel Fishel (and Avocado)